This coarsely ground chili pepper - in Basque Ezpeletako biperra - has been grown with care and love on the Ferme Conchoinea, a plot of approximately 4 hectares located in Aïnhoa in the French Basque Country.
The pepper is named after the place where it has been grown for centuries, and where an annual festival in honor of the chili pepper is held: Espelette, in the French-Basque Pyrenées-Atlantiques. The cultivation of chili peppers in this area dates from the mid-17th century, when the chili pepper was introduced to Europe from South America.
From this, the Basque variety Capsicum annuum var. gorria, also known as the Gorria or Biper. Laurent and Laurence Bessouat have been growing this pepper at the Ferme Conchoinea since 1998, which they plant and harvest by hand. The particles of this coarsely ground chili may not exceed 5 mm in size. Segida also makes allspice paste (purée) with it and various other products, some of which we sell.
Piment d'Espelette has been awarded the appellation d'origine contrôlée (AOC) since 2000, and since 2002 the only French spice to bear the European appellation d'origine protégée (AOP). Provided it is grown under the supervision of the Syndicat du Piment d'Espelette. Every year, the cultivation is assessed by this Council on the quality criteria of the Basque and European label.
How good Segida's allspice is is evident from the many awards the pepper has won, including the d'Argent medal at the Salon Internationale d'Agriculture in Paris in 2018.
Our Piment d'Espelette is offered in the original packaging, a glass jar with 40 grams of pepper and a bag with 250 grams. It is not allowed to repack Piment d'Espellete under the official name and under the AOP label. Unfortunately it does!
The Piment d'Espelette is indispensable in Basque cuisine, where it is used in 'piperade'. In the Basque Country mainly Espelette is used, rarely black pepper.
- pure ground chili peper of the Basque Gorria chili pepper
- origin: Aïnhoa, French Basque Country (Pays Basque)
- harvest: 2019
- available in the original package of 40 grams in a glass jar, and
- in original bag with a content of 250 grams (vacuumized)
- keep the Piment d'Espelette in the original glass on a cool place, out of direct sunlight;
- after opening, the powder has a shelf life of at least three months, provided it is stored in a closed packaging and in a refrigerator between 3 and 5 ° C
- end of 2022 (unopened at room temperature)
|Capsicum annuum||Capsicum annuum var gorria|
|Contains no||artificial flavoring and coloring|
|Contains no allergenes|
- Brand: Segida
- Product Code:C105FR
- Availability:In Stock