Malabar pepper is a blend of black pepper that is grown in the Malabar coastal strip of India. Malabar has a rich history, which is the model for all widely used peppers. The blend guarantees a constant taste.
The Indian states of Kerala and Karnataka together form the Malabar coast (strip). A large part of this area was part of the ancient kingdom of Keralapoutra, where first the Portuguese, then the Dutch, the French and the British asserted their influence. It was already an important trading center 3,000 years before Christ, and therefore has a very mixed population. It is known as the birthplace of the pepper and the pepper trade, which began more than two millennia before our era with the first trade between the Egyptians and the inhabitants of the Malabar coast.
Around the beginning of the era other peoples also interfered with the trade on Malabar, both by land and by sea, from the moment people could understand the wind systems on the Indian Ocean and open structured trade routes. So far back is the tradition of Malabar pepper. In addition to this famous blend, the Malabar Strip also has two specific selections, the Tellicherry Bold and the Tellicherry Garbled Extra Bold, which we both also sell.
This black pepper is very suitable for general use. Because of the blend, the taste is constant.
- 100% pepper berries from the Piper nigrum
- origin: Malabar Strip, West India
- harvest 2018
- available in pouch, glass and testtubes
- pouches containing 30, 45, 60, 250 or 500 grams
- testtubes 10 ml
- glass containing 60 grams
- the cubic box is suitable for packaging one glass jar and is supplied with a sheet of black tissue paper
- the flat box has a flat 'velvet' inlay, and is suitable for our small and medium-sized pouches (150 and 250 ml), marked with an arterisk *. Capacity: 4-5 bags, depending on the type of spice
- for further details (and images) of our gift packaging, please refer to the product page
- grind pepper shortly before eating it
- add it only in the last stage of preparation of your dish (last minute)
- keep it in a dry and pretty cool place
- the expiry date is meant as an indication
- february 2022
Do you want to know what Malabar tastes like? You can also try a test tube with enough pepper to understand the taste essence of Malabar pepper.
|No additions||100% dried pepper grains|
|Contains no allergenes|
- Brand: Global food and spices
- Product Code: P020.1
- Availability: In Stock