Shichimi is an ancient Japanese spice mixture, which is nowadays mainly used as a rub, in addition to the traditional application as a topping, for example for noodles. A good shichimi is on the greasy side because it contains sesame seeds.
Shichimi means "seven flavors," denoting the seven ingredients. Shichimi sharpness is controlled by the two chilies in the mixture: tōgarashi (chili pepper) and sanshō. The first is a striking element in Japanese cuisine, which has no chili tradition. Initially it was only used in Chinese medicine, hence.
In Japan, the sharpest variation is indicated by the term "ogara". In Kyoto, the slightly milder shichimi we supply is the standard. This contains proportionally more sansho and less chili. There is also a black variety called kuro shichimi, 黒 七味, black shichimi. This one contains only black sesame and black pepper instead of chili pepper. Kuro shichimi therefore has a taste palette that combines well with red meat, tofu and white rice.
Shichimi was first prepared in the early seventeenth century in Edo (present-day Tokyo) according to the techniques of Chinese medicine art. The creator is said to be Karashiya Tokuemon, who owns a spice shop in the Ryogoku Yagenbori district. This little shop still exists today and, like many similar shops in the city, sells a variety of shichimis.
Sichimi tōgarashi contains:
- shiso leaf
- black and / or white sesame seeds
- citrus peel (yuzu)
- nigella (hemp seed) and
This shichimi, while spicy, is relatively mild for a shimichi tōgarashi, due to the pleasant balance between the sharp chili and the pungent sansho. You create a difference in accent by adding either chili or sansho yourself. Both are available in our web shop.
You use shimichi tōgarashi as a topping for noodles such as udon and soba, oden, nabe and tempura. Shichimi tōgarashi is also very suitable as a rub for white meat (pork and chicken) or tuna. Also pairs well with pumpkin and sweet potatoes!
- mixture as described above: tōgarashi (chili pepper), sansho, shiso leaf, black and white sesame seeds, citrus peel, nori, nigella (hemp seed) and ginger
- origin: Japan!
- available in jar containing 60 grams,
- and in stand-up pouches with a content of 45, 75 or 150 grams
- larger quantities on request
- the jar is available in a tasteful black cubic box
- for further details (and images) of our gift packaging, please refer to the product page
- keep shichimi in a dry and pretty cool place
- the expiry date is meant as an indication
- May 2022
|No additions||Contains no preservatives and / or salt|
|This product may contain traces of||CELERY and MUSTARD|
- Brand: Global food and spices
- Product Code: B022.2
- Availability: out of stock