The dried berry of the Lindera neesiana is sometimes referred to as a pepper berry, but it is certainly not, because it contains almost no sharp substance. Just like the Raye timur, it does have an unmistakable citrus flavor, with a hint of cedar.
The Lindera neesiana or Lindera fructicosa is a 5-8 meter high tree or shrub with greenish-yellow flowers. In summer the 6-8 mm fruits develop, which are picked and dried after ripening. The red fruits then turn rust brown to black, just like pepper.
The siltimur, the international name - derived from the Nepalese name sila ṭimura - grows in large parts of the Himalayas at heights of 1,000 to 2,800 meters in Nepal and India and in bushy Myanmar. Our berries come from Nepal.
Smell and taste
The berries are rich in essential oils, which ensure a warm, pleasant aroma and taste experience. The combination of z- and e-citral, and citronellal provide the citrus tones, the alpha and beta-pinene for a cedar flavor, and eucalyptus for a woody, light camphor flavor.
- β-pinene, woody pine scent (cedar), as in cumin, pine (pine cone), juniper and hemp,
- 1,8-cineol, eucalyptol, the refreshing taste of myrtle (and eucalyptus oil)
- z- and e-citral, sweet citrus flavor of lemon zest
- citronellal, lime leaf (kafir), as in sereh and juniper
Silmur is used in chutneys and pickles in Nepalese cuisine, just like raye timur. Use siltimur as a seasoning for white meat (for example pork), fried fish, shellfish, in pastries and desserts, such as with red fruit. Combines with coconut, fennel - think of coconut soup - and tomato, for example a tomato achar.
- 100% berries of the Lindera neesiana
- origin: Nepal
- harvest 2018
- Available in standing bag, glass and test tube
- standing bags contain 30, 45, 150 and 300 grams respectively
- test tubes 10 ml
- glass jar contains 45 grams
- the cubic box is suitable for packaging one glass jar and is supplied with a sheet of black tissue paper
- the flat box has a flat 'velvet' inlay, and is suitable for our small and medium-sized pouches (150 and 250 ml), marked with an arterisk *. Capacity: 4-5 bags, depending on the type of spice
- for further details (and images) of our gift packaging, please refer to the product page
- siltimur is used as a whole, bruised. Roast the siltimur in advance to deepen the aroma (odor and taste). Even when you serve siltimur, and do so at the last minute.
- keep siltimur in a dark, dry and cool place
- the expiry date is meant as an indication
- May 2023
Do you want to know what siltimur tastes like?
You can always try a test tube. The tube contains enough siltimur to learn to understand the taste essence.
|Zanthoxylum (Rutaceae)||Zanthoxylum armatum|
|No additions||100% dried fruit|
|Contains no allergenes|
- Brand: Global food and spices
- Product Code: S120.1
- Availability: In Stock